Spread the Word

Spread the Word

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

You just gotta laugh it off!!

Hello all you New Plymouth-ites!! :)

So I guess to start out I'll just tell you about how my week went! My Thanksgiving was AWESOME! It's kinda funny...we had plans to go over to three different people on TuesdayWednesday, and then Thursday, but the ones onTuesday and Wednesday canceled on us last minute!  Oh well...we had a really great meal over at the VanValkenburgs. They're both kind of older so all their kids are grown up and moved out but they are just the nicest people I've ever met. They had all six missionaries over and then this other family and then my branch mission leader, Brother Vaccaro and his son, Peter. It was super fun! We just went over all day munching on food and talking and eating dinner and talking some more. It was great! Super relaxing!
So yeah...this week has been a real slow, but busy, crazy week.

Thursday was Thanksgiving so we didn't have to do anything that day. Friday and Saturday were pretty normal. Oh! Except we found this really awesome family knocking some doors in this apartment complex by our apartment and they are super cool! When we knocked on the door and said who we were she was like "well...I'm going to be honest, I'm not super into the whole religion thing but my kids are like CRAZY about it so you guys could come back tomorrow and talk to them if you'd like?" So of course we said yes and we went back the next day! We had an awesome lesson with her 11, almost 12, year old boy who is SUPER intelligent and sharp and herself (she's totally going to be into religion now! Haha). She told us about this amazing experience she had where a few years ago, her father had just passed away and she was over at her moms apartment with her whole family after the funeral and stuff, and all of a sudden she just felt like something was calling her outside. She kind of ignored it but then a couple of her family members went up to her and said some stuff like "do you hear that outside?"  She went outside but didn't see or find anything so she thought it must have just been some random noise or something so she went back in and continued to grieve and spend time with her family. Then she said that the next day she was super sad...like she was just SO upset, and she felt like something was "calling" her from outside.  She said that when she went outside, the sun was shining so beautifully right on our church building which is exactly across the street from where she was! She said that she'd never felt more peace in her entire life and that that was by far the most beautiful experience in her entire life! It was so sweet! She told us this and we were just stunned! We had a cool talk about how people feel the spirit differently and we told her that that experience definitely came from Heavenly Father and that it obviously meant something! It was so neat! We'll be going over there again this Saturday hopefully!

So then on Sunday, after church we went over to the Murphy's house and we had a little party thing there! It was the first of December so they got this HUGE live tree and put it in there house and had us help them decorate it while listening to Christmas music and stuff! It was so fun! Then we just ate a TON of junk food and talked and everything. Their son, Danny, left on his mission yesterday actually so they had us over to say goodbye and stuff! He's such a cool, funny kid! He was one of the only two youth in the ward so were really going to miss him! Hahaha :)

Then on Monday we had a zone meeting about a half an hour away which was fun and our district leader went on a split so there was one of our zone leaders with us! He's really nice and cool. After the meeting, we all went down to the mall there in Middletown and ate some Chinese food which was amazing! And then after that we just came home, went on Facebook for a little bit, then went to go eat dinner over at a members house! And that was about our day!

Then yesterday was pretty much normal except we went to a food pantry and volunteered helping people get their food and stuff like we do every Tuesday, and then we had that party for my two week late birthday hahaha it was fun :)

So yeah...this week we've pretty much just been a bunch of bums and messed around!  Just kidding!!
I really have been doing better, though. Things are getting a little more fun, a little more enjoyable as I go along. Things still aren't easy but I don't think they ever are for a missionary. I actually have learned to just enjoy my time here in Monticello. Yeah, it's small, crazy, hard, and frustrating most of the time...but I love it. I wouldn't mind staying here another cycle even. Idk about another cycle with the same companion though...it's not that I don't like him or anything, it's just that 4 1/2 months is a LONG time to spend with someone nonstop 24 hours. I'm pretty sure after 6 months we'd just kill each other Haha!!

Something that I am learning is to just laugh everything off...which probably isn't abnormal for me...it's just most of the time people blow you off or they yell at you or are rude to you and I just think it's so funny! :) Elder Rydalch hates it and gets so angry but I just laugh! Like the other day, a less active that apparently tried to tell missionaries to stop coming over got SO mad at us and started saying that we're just rude and annoying and that we'd better get the heck off his property before he called the cops and a whole bunch of other stuff and then slammed the door on us...frankly I thought it was funny that he was being so immature so I just yelled through the door "Happy Holidays! Just wanted to share a Thanksgiving message! You just gotta laugh stuff like that off and not let it get to you!

It hasn't snowed in a while here! It's warmed up after that cold front that we had and it hasn't really gotten cold enough to snow! It's supposed to be a crazy winter here, though, so we'll see!
Okay so about that guy that just ran up to us on Broadway and we taught last week...we're pretty sure one of our members scared him off. We are so upset right now. There's this lady named Sister G***** and she is NOT good with people and can be very rude sometimes. She doesn't know much about our doctrine so most of what she says that has to do with what we believe is kind of sketchy. Apparently she lives in the same apartment as this W***** guy (that's his name) and I guess she's told him that (oh and by the way he does smoke...big surprise) he is worshipping false gods by smoking and that he can't get closer to god when he smokes and that he'd better stop before he goes to Purgatory. We've only taught him ONCE!!!! He has no idea about the word of wisdom! Ugh! So we eventually talked to him about her and tried to tell him not to listen to a word that she says because she's crazy! But I guess what happened next is that he had plans to come to church this Sunday after we invited him and I guess that he talked to her like Saturday night to see if he could maybe ride the bus with her or take a train with her and she told him that he couldn't come to church unless he wore slacks and a white shirt and tie! He doesn't own any of that! He's poor! And I guess he was like "can't I just wear jeans and a nice sweater?" And she said no!!! Who the heck cares what he wears as long as he gets here! It would have been good if she'd just let him know or made the suggestion he wear nice clothes but she just straight up told him not to come!  And then she came up to us at church and was all proud that she was "being a missionary" and telling him what he needs to do and stuff! We wanted to strangle her! So now we haven't seen him since and he won't answer any of our calls or anything. We're making Brother B**** who's in the brand presidency talk to her and tell her to leave people alone and explain her calling as ward missionary again because apparently she has no idea what that actually means.

But anyway...other than that little mishap it's actually been a really fun week for a change! I'm doing better each week just kind of adjusting and figuring out how this whole mission thing works! It sounds like things  are going smoothly over there. Sounds like the usual but hey...that can be good! That's so cool that dads over in Chicago now! How long is he there for? Is he liking it? Tell him to come to New York! Haha just kidding :)
How are you doing? I hope you haven't been down in the dumps at all! I pray for you guys almost every day and hope everything goes well. Let me know if there's anything I can do for any of you! Oh and by the way...your Christmas presents might be a little late this year :/ there's actually a couple reasons: one, I wanna get you guys something cool and there's not exactly many cool things to get up here in Monticello. And two, I don't exactly have many personal funds to be buying gifts or shipping right now (I'm saving up though!)
So I just want you guys to know that I really don't get much money except for money I get from you guys which I don't wanna just spend...I try and only buy things that I really need. Which by the way...sorry if I spent a lot on stuff these last few weeks...I figured out very quickly that I don't have very many winter things so I was freezing and had to buy some boots and sweaters and big socks and hats and stuff :/

That's a good idea that the missionaries had over there! Make sure and help me out by actually bringing someone! Haha! Oh if only I knew before how desperately missionaries need members to do that I'd probably have been a little better at missionary work. It's super easy too! Yeah it might be weird trying to get somebody to come to a church activity, but it's really not at all! I mean would you be weirded out if one of your nonmember friends invited you to a Christmas party that was over in that big baptist church? No! It's because it's just an activity, something fun for the family and...FREE! Haha it's not weird at all :) so don't wait for Heavenly Father to tell you who to ask...just ask everyone! Just remember all those scriptures in D&C that say "open your mouth at ALL times!" That means ALL times :) Gods promised we wouldn't be confounded before men when we have the spirit and were genuinely trying to help someone...and I've found that to be so true. So don't be afraid! You guys can do it!

We'll...I'd better get going but I hope you are all doing really well! I love you all! Have an awesome week!

Elder Stafford :)


So we had our party!! Haha  Thank you SO much!  I only got 
teased a little bit but it was worth it  ;)


Birthday boy!!

Gettin' ready for the party!



I'm 19!!!!!  Woooohoooo!!




 Thunk!!  Ow!!

Back atcha!!!



Look at that cake!!

This is MY day!!

Make a wish!!



What the...?!

NOT nice

Oh well...it still tastes good


Why?


Our district got to spend Thanksgiving Day with the Vanvaulkenburgs










This is one of our monthly branch potlucks after church.  This was Danny Murphy's
"goodbye" potluck so his parents made all the food.  Delicious!




I love these guys



Then we went over to the Murphys for a party to say goodbye
to their son Danny who was leaving on his mission.

Me with Danny Murphy

We also got to help them decorate their tree



                           
                            


Grrrrrrr!


No comments:

Post a Comment