Spread the Word

Spread the Word

Thursday, April 10, 2014

The story behind "Juniper Rd."

Hey everyone!!

I hope you're all having an awesome day and an even better week!! The sun is finally out over here!! I can't tell you how much better of a mood I am in when it's all sunny and beautiful outside. I am definitely NOT a winter person...so to see traces of summer makes my day! I hope you all enjoyed General Conference! That was definitely the highlight of my week!! I can't tell you how much I look forward to it now! I'm not gonna lie...one of the biggest reasons I even liked it before was because I was able to sit in my pajamas and "watch church", but now, I just wait for it with anticipation the whole year!! I can't believe I only have two more left before I go home!! That's insane!
It sounds like everyone is enjoying spring so far. It sounds like dad and Derek are really enjoying it! Where's MY mustang?? Haha just kidding. It sounds like the car is coming along though. So who gets the car when it's up and running, Dad or Derek? ;)
Derek went to Prom!! Awwwwww that's cute ;) it sounds like it was a lot of fun! Tell Madeline congrats for getting to be the lucky girl!
I love hearing all the goings-on with you guys! I love the stories!

This week has been interesting! Our phone just stopped working about a week ago, so we had to survive without one until we were able to get a new one on Monday. It was horrible! I can't tell you how frustrating it is not being able to communicate with your members and investigators! I don't know how missionaries did it way back when! So yeah, almost our whole day Monday was going to zone meeting in Ossining (30 min drive), driving home (another 30 minutes), finding out the APs had our new phone, driving BACK where we just came from towards Stamford (45 min drive), and then driving back home (1 1/2 hour drive with the rush hour traffic....it was horrible). Yep...that was our day.

We had a super neat zone meeting though where we talked about finding people to teach. It got everyone really excited to find some new investigators. We, as a zone of about 11 companionships, made a goal to find 50 new investigators this week! That's a LOT! It's a huge goal but we're all willing to put the work in and do it! 

Because of that...guess what  Elder Nielson and I got to do yesterday...? TRACTING!! Oh boy, did I miss it. I still love it! We went around knocking on doors for about 3 1/2 hours. What we did was we both prayed, looked at a map of our area, each wrote down 10 streets, and then compared our lists. Any streets that matched up, we would go tracting on. While I was praying, I got this distinct picture of a tree in my head and then the word Juniper. Don't ask me why haha. So while I was listing my streets, I figured that Heavenly Father wants us to go tracting on a street that had the name of a tree, and more specifically Juniper. So what I did was just went through and wrote the names of 9 streets that have tree names. This whole time I was disappointed, though, that I couldn't find a Juniper St. or anything. I looked and looked and looked and was about to just write down another name, but then I found it! There was this small little street that was just kind of hiding named Juniper Rd. I was so excited! So I waited until he wrote down his, and then we compared them...and guess what...none of them matched...haha. So we were like, "well, what do we do now?", so we prayed again, and then each looked at our own and then each other's list and marked two or three streets that stood out to us. After doing that, we got about three streets that we both felt like they stood out to us. One of which was Juniper Rd and the other was this street that I had written down first that we both felt like we needed to tract. The latter was the one that was farthest away, so we decided to do that one yesterday.

So that's what we did! We tracted the whole street. It was pretty slow until it hit about 5:30 when everyone started coming home from work. We ended up getting 5 people that said that we could come back, three of them seemed pretty solid, and one of those three was AWESOME! We walked up to this house and a lady walks out with her big dog to go for a walk. The dog apparently doesn't like men, so it starts barking and barking and barking. The lady seems kind of annoyed but went back inside to put the dog away so she could talk to us. We were both kind of skeptical and thought that she was going to blow us off, but after we told her who we were, her eyes lit up and she goes, "oh yes, you can definitely come back. As you can see, nows not a good time...but I actually have a lot of family who is LDS and yes you can definitely come back!" So we set up an appointment for her on Thursday! I hope it goes good! :)

We'll probably do that kind of system of praying and asking The Lord which street we should go to instead of relying on randomness haha. We're excited!

Other than that, it was a pretty normal week. We spent a lot of time at General Conference and our regulars and finding. Once we get a good pool of investigators, we can finally start narrowing down who is most worth our time instead of just going with whoever will let us over! This week has been awesome, though!! I love you all so much! Have an awesome week!! :)

-Elder Stafford

No comments:

Post a Comment